The Options Committee of Making Kenora HOME has proposed the second annual poverty challenge, A Walk in Other’s Shoes. Community members have been asked to spend seven days facing some of the challenges caused by poverty. The event takes place during the second week of February, which is the annual Week of Action Against Poverty.

Participants will live off $52.00 for the entire seven days. This includes all food and drink, entertainment, some personal supplies and transportation costs. Each participant will be given a daily challenge card that will reveal an additional challenge; they must complete the challenge before the day’s end.

An opening event is scheduled to be held at City of Kenora Council Chambers at 12:00 pm on Wed. February 8th. The closing event will be held at the Kenora Recreation Centre Rotary Room at 12:00 pm on Thursday February 16th. Both are open to the public.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Sport of Shopping...

... It is that challenging.

My daily challenge for the first day was that I had a chocolate craving and had to give in!  I was very lucky and found that a package of 4 chocolate pudding cups is on sale at IGA for $1 (if this was any other week I wouldn't be so lucky!!).  I was able to incorporate this cost into my budget, but nothing else.

At Wal-Mart: wow. I didn't realize that the price of food was so high.  It seems like everything is about $0.50 more expensive than I figured.  So it looks like the meatloaf is out of the question and 7 nights of Mexican Casserole it is.  I'm shuddering at the thought.  Oh, and surprise! I can't believe I can't afford to buy tea!  It is 'only' $2 for 20 bags but my personal items- deodorant, toilet paper-yikes! shampoo and body soap are so expensive! Add in the toothbrush and paste and it came to a grand total of $11.49.  One of my food weaknesses is Yop.  I really, really wanted to buy it and it was only $0.97 but I didn't have enough money.

To IGA:  They are having their Dollar Days sales on.  Thank goodness!
Woo hoo!  It looks like I can buy a fresh pineapple because it is on sale for $1.99!  This makes me really excited because the only other fresh fruits and vegetables I could afford is a bag of frozen mixed veggies and a bag of oranges (I splurged, spent the $3.99).  Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy any more fruit and veggies for snacks as I had planned.

Although I spent a lot of time looking at grocery store flyers to plan my meals, I found it very difficult to purchase the ingredients I needed to eat for the week.  Toilet paper was really expensive, and so I "split the cost" and package with a friend.  Bar soap was also really expensive!  Normally I try to buy some of these items in large quantities to save on the per unit cost and so I found it to be very alarming to see how expensive the smallest package costs are, regardless of brand.  Even store brands are quite expensive at over $2.50 for 3 bars of soap.

I live in the country and with there not being any public transit where I live, I had to take my vehicle (that I would not be able to afford if I was living on social assistance).  The problem is that the total cost of my groceries and personal items came to $51.85, leaving me without any money for transportation, makeup, or future challenges...  as it is I think the monotony of eating the same thing all week long will be a real challenge.


Here's what $51.85 got me:

650g strawberry yogurt
brown bread
1L Oasis mango juice
bag of oranges
small peanut butter
strawberry jam
2L milk
1 kg frozen mixed vegetables
about 3 oz of cheddar cheese
2 boxes of jiffy corn muffin mix (I'm relying on a friend to pick this up for me)
13 oz of salsa
2 lbs regular ground beef
1 small bag of onions
1 can cream corn
500ml of cottage cheese
4 pack of chocolate pudding
pineapple
deodorant
toilet paper (split cost & package with a friend)
shampoo
toothbrush
toothpaste
body soap (split cost & package with a friend)


No comments:

Post a Comment